Friday, January 14, 2011

Promises- composition

This one I wrote last year, when I was 15. Technically, I still am, considering that I haven't celebrated my birthday yet. Well my friend laughed real hard at this one, but I can't find anything funny though. :\


Word from the author-
This was a composition test given by my English teacher. The few options to choose from: Dare, Promises, and one more I can’t remember, since I totally can’t do. As is obvious, ‘Dare’ is not any easier, so I chose ‘Promises’. Had no idea what kind of essay I should write. Documentary? Recall?
However the story turned out quite good, I scored a 20/30, which isn’t say really good. She wanted to give me a 21 but since I have tense problems, there flew my one mark. Well under the circumstances and rushing of time, it came out better than I expected.

--Title chosen: Promises--

  Promises can come in many different ways, such as the normal “see you later” or “sure thing, mom”. Casual but empty promises such as “BFF ‘Best Friends Forever’” are always said just because the mood at that time fits. Promises are meant to be kept, but those are used to casually that not many actually believe they are to be kept.

  My little sister and I were very close, despite our six-year age gap. Both our parents worked long and hard, and on weekends, they refused to wake until the sun was high up in the sky. We bonded through the absence of our parents in our daily lives, and I knew that she depended solely on me. This was why I had never broken any promises to her before, until that day.

  It was my six-year-old sister’s kindergarten graduation ceremony, and both my parents had promised to be there for her. But we both knew better than to hold on to their promises. It was my attendance that really mattered. She was so excited that day in day out, it was all she talked about. Being a preteen myself, it really grated on my nerves.

  I remember that Saturday with absolute detail. She had already set off to prepare for her performance. Her class was doing a skit on ‘Snow White’, and she got the part that she wanted, as ‘Dopey’- one of the seven dwarfs. She went on and on as I helped her to prepare breakfast, as I received my parents’ phone call reporting their absence, and as I sent her on the school bus. I was really fed up with all her chattering, although I knew she was just an excited six-year-old.

  At three in the afternoon, an hour before her performance, a phone call came for me from my best friend.

 “Hey, you ready? The party’s not going to wait you know,” she said.

  “Just give me five more minutes. I’ll be downstairs.”

  “But wait- what time do you have to leave? I heard today is your sister’s graduation ceremony!”

  “Nah, she’ll understand,” I told her. I had really intended to go, since last week. My sister was clinging on to me so tightly, I was ready to just let go and relax. And that was exactly what I did.

  I reached home at eight o’clock, when the sun had set, and her performance had ended. What I felt came in order: relief, doubt, and guilt. Guilt that strengthened when I heard her crying in her room. I gently knocked on the door, still feeling horrible.

  “Go away!” was the reply. At that moment, I felt sad and disappointed at myself. People always called me the ‘good older sister’. Surely I do not deserve that title now. Regardless, I knew I had to do this. I went in anyway, and hugged her fiercely when I saw her tear-stained face, repeating the words ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry’. Eventually she stopped crying and softened. I told her everything, and luckily for me, forgiveness was one of the many traits my sister had too much of. We just sat and talked, and I knew that all was well.

  Six years ago I had promised to attend her primary school graduation. Six years ago I learned not to make any empty promises. And today, I am a proud sister watching my sibling graduate from primary school.

--The End—

Word from the author-
I can’t believe I actually wrote ‘just sat and talked’. I mean, the subjects were a six and twelve year old kid! I hope she didn’t notice that. Now that I fully reviewed this again, my sentence structures sound tacky and rough-flowing. I could have written it better. I really have to start reviewing all my past compositions and stories if I want an ‘A’ in English. Good luck for me!

Word from the blogger-
Wow I just realised that this is... So not my best work haha.
Well I'm working on a short story named "Tiger" but didn't have the time to continue ever since school started. I'm gonna have my 'O' Levels this year!
And since i didn't score for my express chinese (yes I take higher chinese) I HAVE to score for english to replace it. 

Wish me luck ok?

5 comments: